Walnut Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Lasagna Noodles
282 calories per serving|85 minute recipe |8 servings
Offering a modern reinvention of lasagna, this dish uses zucchini noodles (actual strips of zucchini) and a tomato sauce filled with the goodness of walnuts in place of ground beef. Eating more nuts, such as walnuts, is a great way to boost your health. Research shows that you can reduce your risk of cancer, including colorectal cancer, by including more nuts like walnuts in your diet. Plus, eating a more plant-based diet featuring whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and pulses and less animal protein, is a good strategy to reduce your risk of cancer.
Start with this delicious and easy recipe for Walnut Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Lasagna Noodles!
Zucchini "Lasagna Noodles"
4 small zucchini
Walnut Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cups fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. organic tomato paste no sugar added; no salt added
1/2 cup bone broth
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cups ground walnuts, divided
Coconut oil for cooking
1 cup shredded sprouted soft organic tofu
2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
1. Slice zucchini horizontally into long, thin slices (about 5 horizontal slices per squash). Place on paper towels and set aside (to soak up extra moisture).
2. Place a large saucepan on medium heat and add coconut oil.
3. Add onion, garlic and celery, and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add mushrooms and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Add tomato sauce and black pepper. Stir well and cover. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and vegetables are tender.
6. Measure out 1 1/4 cups ground walnuts (may chop in a food processor or high-powered blender; should resemble consistency of course grains of sand, but should not be overly processed to a flour texture), reserving remaining ¼ cup ground walnuts for topping. Add the 1 1/4 cups ground walnuts to the sauce, and heat for 2 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
8. Use some coconut oil in the baking dish. Place one-third (6-7 slices) of the zucchini slices on the bottom of the dish. Layer with one-third of the walnut tomato sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the shredded tofu. Repeat layers two more times, for a total of three layers of zucchini, walnut tomato sauce and tofu.
9. Place baking dish in the oven uncovered and bake for 40 minutes.
10. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup ground walnuts over top of lasagna and set oven to grilling setting. Grill for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
11. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, slice into squares and serve immediately.
|Tags:ResourcesDiets & Recipes|