Chicken Noodle Soup
Classic chicken noodle soup is pure comfort food. Thankfully, our recipe is so easy you can even make it tonight! Chicken noodle soup is one of the easiest soups to make. The ingredients are simple and inexpensive.
1 fresh chicken or 1 kg of chicken legs
4 L water
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp of peppercorns
2 cm knob of ginger, grated
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
Vegetables – Asian greens, small broccoli pieces, shredded cabbage, mushrooms and/or other vegetables of choice
Fresh herbs: coriander or Thai basil leaves, chilli (fresh, finely sliced or dried chilli flakes)
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
Salt and pepper
1-2 limes or lemons, cut in wedges
1. To make stock, add chicken with water, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns and half the ginger, garlic and lemongrass to a stock pot or large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 1 hour, skimming the surface regularly. Allow to cool for half an hour.
2. Strain the stock through a fine sieve or muslin lined colander, reserving the broth, chicken, and vegetables.
3. When chicken has cooled, remove meat from bones and chop finely.
Return broth, chopped chicken and any reserved vegetables to washed saucepan and add remaining ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Bring to the boil and add additional fresh vegetables of choice. Boil for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook rice noodles in boiling water until soft. Strain and rinse in cold water and set aside.
To serve: Place rice noodles in soup bowls and cover with piping hot soup. Top with bean sprouts, fresh herbs, chilli, and a wedge of lemon or lime. Enjoy!
Vegan alternative with tofu:
1. Make stock as above, omitting the chicken and using all the ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Add additional fresh vegetables for the final 20 minutes of cooking (stock won’t need straining).
2. While soup is cooking, press a 300 gm block of firm tofu between paper towel and cut into cubes. Toss tofu in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce/tamari, pepper and a pinch of chilli flakes and bake in a preheated oven (180°C) for 15 minutes, turning after 7 minutes to brown all sides.
To serve, place cooked rice noodles and tofu in bowls, cover with soup and top with sprouts, fresh herbs, chilli and lemon/lime.
|Tags:NewsDiets & RecipesMost PopularCancer|